Noted English architect, William Percival, designed the existing courthouse in 1861. MMPA was able to maintain the building’s historical integrity, while meeting all of Caswell County’s space needs. Through coordination and communication between County advisory groups, private historic associations, and the State Historic Preservation Office, the adaptive reuse of this classic courthouse facility was successfully performed.
The main level was renovated to accommodate county offices. The upper level was renovated as a commissioners meeting room. Ornate plaster ceilings and moldings were restored. MMPA carefully installed a new elevator without altering the historic fabric of the courthouse. The lower level was adapted to house public restroom facilities, mechanical & electrical rooms, and storage.